After-school activities have begun for my kids. Since the after-school activities finish close to 5pm, I don’t want the kids to be hungry. They also don’t have much time beforehand to have a leisurely snack time. This means that I have to start packing them after-school snacks (in addition to their lunch). So, I have to pack them something that they can eat quickly, easily and preferably is nutritious. (It will be a bonus if it actually tastes good). During the summer, I made power snack balls to see whether my kids like them or not. It turned out that they do. Therefore, I’ll be packing these for their school snacks.
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds (salted or non salted)
- 1 cup of unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup of medjool dates (roughly 8 pieces)
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- Put all the ingredients in the food processor.
- Pulse until you reach the desired texture (longer for smoother texture).
- Make balls.
- Put them in the refrigerator to solidify the coconut oil (you can also freeze them to make them last longer).
- You can substitute the sunflower seeds with any nuts you like.
- I am using salted sunflower seeds so I did not add anymore salt, but if you use un-salted sunflower seeds you might want to add a pinch of salt to balance the sweetness of the dates.
- Use an ice cream scoop to help you make balls faster.
- You can also use dried fruit instead of dates, and add vanilla or cinnamon. You can even add some dark chocolate chips. The possibilities are endless.